Problem Solving Forum

| More

September 20 - September 25, 2015

RH probes are commonly used in concrete floors to determine moisture content. Can they be used in CMU walls or pre-cast walls?

Selected Answers

From sERGE kOBELEV of Welko-tech llc on September 21, 2015:
RH probes are not intended for measurements of moisture content. Moisture content may be determined with the oven and proper weight measurements or get correlated with electrical resistivity /conductivity of the concrete. RH is partial pressure of water vapor in the air, measured mostly by capacitance sensors. Water vapor pressure may be measured inside anything from concrete to cheese, under condition that you keep proper sizing of air chamber (drill and install the sensor properly). Also, the question has to specify if you want to measure in-situ (inside) or on the surface of the wall/slab. Different ASTM protocols are applied.

Please sign in to submit your answer this question    

Tagged categories: Concrete; Concrete coatings and treatments; Concrete floor coatings; Concrete slab waterproofing; Good Technical Practice; Waterproofing

Current PSF Question | Submit a PSF Question | Full PSF Archive

Tarps manufacturing, Inc.

Axxiom Manufacturing


KTA-Tator, Inc. - Corporate Office


Sauereisen, Inc.

Strand’s Industrial Coatings

Abrasives Inc.

EDCO - Equipment Development Co. Inc.


Technology Publishing Co., 1501 Reedsdale Street, Suite 2008, Pittsburgh, PA 15233

TEL 1-412-431-8300  • FAX  1-412-431-5428  •  EMAIL

The Technology Publishing Network

PaintSquare the Journal of Protective Coatings & Linings Paint BidTracker

EXPLORE:      JPCL   |   PaintSquare News   |   Interact   |   Buying Guides   |   Webinars   |   Resources   |   Classifieds
REGISTER AND SUBSCRIBE:      Free PaintSquare Registration   |   Subscribe to JPCL   |   Subscribe to PaintSquare News
MORE:      About   |   Privacy Policy   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Support   |   Site Map   |   Search   |   Contact Us