If moisture is such a common problem, why would the author present power washing as a recommended method to clean the painted wood surface before painting? Doesn't that just increase the chances of moisture being driven into the wood requiring even more drying time?
This 2006 article doesn't address the issue of toxic lead-based paint at all! Old paint put on wood before 1978 likely has lead in it. Almost certainly, pre 1950 paint does.
Eliminating lead vapors and containing and safely disposing of lead paint waste is critical. See epa.gov/lead as a VERY SIMPLE starter.
Powerwashing and chemicals make it very difficult to contain lead-paint waste. A new technology for safe paint removal is infrared heat. A speedheater operates at 400 degrees, way below the 1000 degrees of traditional heat guns. Therefore, it does not vaporize the lead at this lower temperature. In addition, the soft heated paint clumps when scraped and is much easier to contain than messy chemicals or water carrying paint remains. D&D needs to find a more up to date article to publish about appropriate wood prep before painting. Let's get up to modern time, folks.