Hennepin County (MN) will accept bids April 3 for repairs, cleaning and coating work on the Hennepin Avenue Bridge, which crosses the Mississippi River in Minneapolis at Nicollet Island.
|The current bridge is the fourth one in that location. The original, built in 1855, is believed to have been the first permanent bridge over the Mississippi River.|
The project involves inspecting and repairing various components of the three-span, 1,020-foot suspension bridge, including all four cables. The cable repairs include applying a liquid neoprene coating as part of rewrapping cable surfaces, as well as cleaning and coating all cable surfaces using a chlorosulfonated polyethylene rubber system. The project also includes applying a zinc-rich coating to tested castings.
No estimate for the project was released.
About the Bridge
With a main span 625 feet long, the bridge—officially, the Father Louis Hennepin Bridge, named for a 17th-century explorer—is the fourth bridge in that location. The original crossing opened in 1855 and is believed to have been the first permanent span across the Mississippi River. Other bridges were completed in 1876, 1891 and, the current structure, in 1990.
Reported by Paint BidTracker, a construction reporting service devoted to identifying contracting opportunities for the coatings community. Visit us on Facebook!