Research articles on the “underworld” of VOCs in protective coatings, dehumidification, inspection, testing and other critical facets of protective coatings work garnered top editorial recognition Monday (Jan. 30) at SSPC 2012.
JPCL editor-in-chief Karen Kapsanis presented six JPCL Editors’ Awards and one Outstanding Publication Award at SSPC’s annual meeting in Tampa, FL. The meeting also included presentation of SSPC’s individual and chapter awards and the election of new board members.
“I’m delighted with all of the winners and their papers and only regret that I can’t give out more awards, because we have had so many excellent authors and articles,” said Kapsanis.
JPCL Editors’ Awards
The award for Outstanding Publication went to “Sizing DH for Water Tank Lining Jobs,” by Don Schnell, formerly of Dehumidification Technologies LP.
|Don Schnell received JPCL’s 2011 Outstanding Publication Award for “Sizing DH for Water Tank Lining Jobs.”|
JPCL Editors’ Awards went to:
• “An Inspector’s Views from the Field,” by consultant Lee Wilson;
• “Strategic Corrosion Protection of New Sewerage Overflow Tunnels,” by Bob Maley, of Corrosion Probe Inc.; and Steve Kelso, of Sauereisen Inc.
• “Understanding Inorganic Zinc-Rich Primers and Specifications,” by Dr. Ilhan Ulkem, of Worldwide Protective Coatings; and Mike Winter, of International Paint LLC/AkzoNobel Inc.
• “Painting Practices for Floating Production, Storage and Offloading Systems,” by Michael B. Surkein, Robert H. Rogers and Sophia Woodley of ExxonMobil Development Corp.
• “Testing Permeation Resistance in Coatings for Wastewater Structures” by Vaughn O’Dea, Caleb Parker and Rémi Brand, of Tnemec Co.
• “Angels and Demons in the Realm of Protective Coatings: The Underworld of VOCs” by Dr. Michael O’Donoghue, Vijay Datta and Russell Spotten, of International Paint LLC.
|“Angels and Demons in the Realm of Protective Coatings: The Underworld of VOCs” earned a JPCL Editors’ Award for Dr. Michael O’ Donoghue, Vijay Datta and Russell Spotten of International Paint LLC.|
SSPC Chapter, Individual Honors
SSPC also presented its annual Structure Awards paying tribute to excellence in protective coatings work; and honored these individuals and chapters:
• President Lecture Series: Bobby W. Meade, Greenman Pedersen Inc.; and Sudhir Palle and Theodore Hopwood II, both of the University of Kentucky;
• Coatings Education: Ernst Toussaint, The Sherwin-Williams Company;
• Technical Achievement: Alfred D. Beitelman, U.S. Army Construction Engineering Research Lab;
• Executive Director: Patrick Tan;
• John D. Keane Award of Merit: Allan DeLange;
• Honorary Life Member: Joe Brandon;
• Outstanding North American Chapter: Hampton Roads, VA; and
• Outstanding International Chapter: India.
|Al Beitelman, winner of the 2012 SSPC Technical Achievement Award, discussed his global career at SSPC 2011 with JPCL editor-in-chief Karen Kapsanis.|
SSPC also awarded $2,500 scholarships to two students at North Dakota State University and one at the University of Southern Mississippi. Adlina Paramarta, of NDSU, presented her research on the use of natural products in coatings systems; and Taluka Galhenage, of NDSU, spoke on his research into a high-performance aircraft primer and on sustainable bio-based resin synthesis.