JPCL: Journal of Protective Coatings & Linings has announced the Clive Hare Honors, a unique award that recognizes the distinguished achievements of 24 thought leaders worldwide who have advanced the technology of protective and marine coatings in the past decade.
|The award is named for Clive Hare, a seminal figure in the industry and longtime columnist for JPCL.|
JPCL’s Top Thinkers: The Clive Hare Honors recognizes and celebrates the enormous contributions of these individuals throughout the publication’s 28-year history.
The awards are named for Clive H. Hare, the venerable JPCL columnist of the 1980s and 1990s whose collected works were organized into two books that have remained bibles of the industry.
The Top Thinker award winners—led by Hare himself—will be profiled in a special issue of JPCL in the summer of 2012, and their work will appear throughout the year in JPCL articles.
The recipients, in addition to Hare, are:
• David Boyd, Vulcan Painters, Inc.
• Massimo Cornago, AGIP
• David Deacon, Consultant
• Johnny Eliasson, American Bureau of Shipping
• Brendan Fitzsimons, Pyeroy
• Rob Francis, Aurecon
• Ben Fultz, Bechtel
• Fred Goodwin, BASF
• Gary Hall, Sauereisen
• Alison Kaelin, KTA-Tator
| Alison Kaelin, KTA-Tator Inc.|
• Alan Kehr, Alan Kehr Anti-Corrosion LLC
• Bob Kogler, Rampart LLC
• Philippe Le Calvé, DCNS
| Philippe Le Calvé, DCNS|
• Andreas Momber, Muehlhan
• Randy Nixon, Corrosion Probe
| Randy Nixon, Corrosion Probe|
• Vaughn O’Dea, Tnemec
| Vaughn O’Dea, Tnemec|
• Mike O’Donoghue, International Paint LLC
| Mike O’Donoghue, International Paint LLC|
• Trevor Parry, Consultant
• Dudley Primeaux, Primeaux Associates LLC
| Dudley Primeaux, Primeaux Associates LLC|
• Tim Race, Kaked LLC (retired)
• Steven Reinstadtler, Bayer MaterialScience
• Ken Trimber, KTA-Tator Inc.
• Lee Wilson, Consultant
Model of a Top Thinker
“The designation ‘Top Thinkers’ is reserved for experts who have advanced the protective and marine coatings industry by their words, actions or both during the past decade,” said Harold Hower, founder of JPCL and CEO of Technology Publishing Co.
Hare’s “encyclopedic knowledge and vast understanding of coatings chemistry” make him the very model of a Top Thinker, Hower said.
Hare’s long-running columns— “Anatomy of Paint” and, later, “The Trouble with Paint”—were organized into collected works and published as Protective Coatings: Fundamentals of Chemistry and Composition (1994) and Paint Film Degradation: Mechanisms and Control (2001), which remain trusted resources for coatings professionals worldwide today.
Contemplation and Action
Hower described a Top Thinker as “first, a writer whose words and ideas have influenced his or her peers.”
“But Top Thinkers may also create meaningful works in media other than words,” he added. “We’re thinking of leaders who have organized and motivated their peers to create standards or to organize other meaningful efforts, such as seminars and symposia to disseminate knowledge about good practice in the technology.”
Hower called the group “both contemplatives and persons of action, writers and leaders—but most distinctively, persons in love with their work and burning with ideas to improve the industry.”
Leaders and Researchers
He cites, for example:
• David Deacon, “for his dogged determination to lead the Institute of Corrosion to success to advance the UK’s protective coatings industry”;
• Ken Trimber, an SSPC “Coating Specialist of the Decade,” who has overseen the development and revision of countless standards as longtime head of SSPC’s Surface Preparation Committee;
• Brendan Fitzsimons, who has created print and online materials and courses especially suited to contractors and inspectors;
• David Boyd, an influential member of SSPC’s Industrial Painting Committee, dedicated to integrating good health, safety and environmental practices with strong technical skills;
• Research and testing by Philippe Le Calvé (waterjetting), Andreas Momber (surface preparation and edge-retentive coatings), Randy Nixon (coating performance in aggressive environments), and Vaughn O’Dea (concrete repair and coating materials); and
• Lee Wilson, Rob Francis and Mike O’Donoghue, whose painstaking research and extensive field experience have enabled them to challenge the industry’s status quo in critical areas.
JPCL’s Top Thinkers were selected through a multi-layered process that began with nominations from the publisher and editors of JPCL, industry experts who work closely with JPCL, and SSPC. From the original list of 68 nominees, the committee selected 24 individuals representing most of the different markets and disciplines that JPCL serves.
“Certainly, there are more than 24 persons who have contributed significantly to advance the coatings industry,” said Hower, “and we hope to feature them in the coming years.”