Elcometer has introduced the 280 Pulsed DC Holiday Detector, designed for greater safety, ease of use and reliability.
Three years in development, the stick-type Elcometer 280 employs the latest electronics to safely generate the required high-voltage DC pulses.
The unit can detect holidays in coatings—even those that are damp, dirty or slightly conductive—without the need to ground the gauge to the substrate, making it especially suitable for pipeline and large surface porosity inspection.
Fully charged in four hours and weighing only 3kg (6.6 pounds), the Elcometer 280 can provide up to 30 hours of continuous use.
Features and Performance
The Elcometer 280 is shockproof and water resistant, with a two-stage safety switch, bright LEDs, screen icons and buzzer signifying when the high voltage is on, and extended ribbing to protect the user from spark creep, the manufacturer says.
Users can either set the test voltage manually or let the internal Voltage Calculator automatically set the gauge to the correct voltage required for their coating thickness value.
The unit comes with two rechargeable battery packs and charger, 5m (16 foot) trailing earth lead, rolling spring holder and 250mm (9.8 inch) extension rod. Users select the appropriate probe electrode from a range of accessories to suit their application.
Other features include:
• Flashing display, bright LED and user-adjustable volume alarm to indicate detection of a holiday;
• User-selectable 0.5 - 35kV range for detecting porosity in coatings up to 25mm (one inch) thick;
• Safety trigger integrated inside the handle cuts power if released;
• Specialized extended ribbing designed to standard EN61010;
• An integrated safety trigger switch that switches off the high voltage if released;
• A rubberized second hand grip for greater control and balance during testing;
• Large, waterproof buttons; and
• A separate high-voltage on/off button to minimize the risk of accidental switch-on.
Designed for easy transportation to the site, the Elcometer 280 Holiday Detector Inspection Kit is supplied in a rugged, light-weight wheeled transit case, designed to hold up to 6m (30 feet) of stainless steel or up to 20m (66 feet) of phosphor bronze rolling spring.