Seven metal fabricators with perfect safety records for 2010—including one on a seven-year safety streak—have been named 2011 FMA/CNA Safety Award winners by the Fabricators & Manufacturers Association International.
FMA’s Safety Award of Honor recognizes companies that have had no recordable injuries or illnesses for the reporting period. The awards, presented in conjunction with CNA Insurance Group, are open to all FMA and Tube & Pipe Association International company members.
The 2011 awards recognize safety records for calendar year 2010. Companies were required to submit OSHA Form 300A (Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses) for the period. Firms of all sizes were eligible.
Safety Award of Honor
Main Steel Polishing Co., based in Tinton Falls, NJ, received the Safety Award of Honor for a seventh straight year. With facilities in six states, the company is the largest processor of stainless steel in the United States; it also processes aluminum, titanium, nickel-based alloys and red metals.
Founded as a family-owned company in 1956, Main Steel was recently purchased by Chicago-based Shale-Inland, a diversified steel services company.
Other 2011 Safety Award of Honor recipients were:
• ADM-Mechanical, Decatur, IL
• AK Tube LLC, Columbus, IN
• Feralloy Corp. - Charleston Division, Huger, SC
• Nisshin Automotive Tubing LLC, Versailles, KY
• Roll Coater Inc. (Hawesville, KY; Indianapolis; and LaPorte, IN)
• Timesavers Inc., Maple Grove, MN
Award of Merit
FMA/CNA also presented Safety Awards of Merit to companies that posted an injury and illness rate that was at least 10 percent better than the published Bureau of Labor Statistics rate for their North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code.
Roll Coater Inc.
|Roll Coater Inc. was honored for perfect 2010 safety records at three facilities and better-than-average safety records at three more.|
Honored with an Award of Merit for a fifth straight year was Anderson & Dahlen Inc., of Ramsey, MN. Honored for the third straight year were AK Tube LLC (Wallbridge, OH); Big J Enterprises LLC (Albuquerque, NM); and Shickel Corp. (Bridgewater, VA).
Other Award of Merit honorees for 2011 were:
• Atlas Tube / JMC Steel Group (Chicago; Harrow, Ontario; and Plymouth, MI)
• Eberl Iron Works Inc., Buffalo, NY
• Feralloy Corp. - St. Louis Division, Granite City, IL
• Feralloy Processing, Portage, IN
• General Sheet Metal Works Inc., Tomah, WI
• Genzink Steel, Holland, MI
• GH Metal Solutions Inc., Fort Payne, AL
• Kasa Fab Inc., Salina, KS
• Main Steel Polishing Co. Inc., Harmony, PA
• Olympic Steel (Winder, GA; Milford, CT; Plymouth, MN; Detroit; and two facilities in Bedford Heights, OH)
• Roll Coater Inc. (Greenfield, IN; Armorel, AZ; and Weirton, WV)
• Tampa Tank Inc. / Florida Structural Steel, Tampa, FL
• Wheatland Tube / JMC Steel Group, Chicago
The 2011 Most Improved Safety Record was awarded to Main Steel Polishing Co.’s facility in Commerce, CA.
Safety Honorable Mention Awards went to:
• BTD Manufacturing Inc., Detroit Lakes, MN
• J. L. Clark, Rockford, IL
• Olympic Steel, Schaumburg, IL
“We congratulate all of our 2011 FMA/CNA Safety Award winners,” said Gerald Shankel, president and CEO of FMA. “Participating in FMA’s Safety Awards program recognizes employees’ safe work habits, stimulates interest in accident prevention, and promotes safety in the workplace.”
Based in Rockford, IL, FMA is a professional organization with more than 2,100 members. Founded in 1970, FMA brings together metal fabricators and fabricating equipment manufacturers. FMA’s technology affiliate, the Tube & Pipe Association International, focuses on the needs of companies engaged in tube and pipe production and fabrication.