When Joyce Wright started in industrial coatings, she was so green that she didn’t touch paint for two years. Today, she is godmother to many industry leaders.
The journey took more than 30 years—most good, some not so much, Wright, program manager for organizational development at Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding, says in a new video
about her life in coatings.
Wright, who pioneered a well-attended “Women in the Coatings Industry” session
this year at SSPC 2011, sat down recently with Journal of Protective Coatings & Linings
editor Karen Kapsanis to reflect on leadership, training, change and a career built on bustin’ rust.
‘We Don’t Have Time for That’
- On Mentoring: “My mentors were really unspoken mentors. I didn’t really ask anybody to be my mentor. I don’t know that I really had that option in the years that I came up through the industry. But I missed that, and I wished I’d had it.”
- On Change: “As an industry, we have got to open our minds and our doors to change. If we spent half as much time as I see some people spending on how not to do a procedure or how not to have to follow all of those steps, we would probably be light years ahead of what we are now.”
- On Environmentalists: “We’ve got to have people on our staffs that probably have been so-called people that we don’t talk to. Those are the people we need to work together on. Environmentalists—they should be on our staffs as we do coatings.”
- On Leadership Development: “Leaders don’t just come out of the woodwork. All of us that have been with SSPC and in this industry for many, many years, we evolved. And a lot of us have had to evolve alone. And we don’t have time for that anymore.”
Join the Conversation:
Sign in to our community to add your comments.
HIGH PERFORMANCE ABRASIVES
“Made in the USA!”
Why recycle waste from other countries? Go FASTER, CLEANER, at 1/3 THE COST with
MR&R “All-American” Sharpshot®HP!!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Custom blast rooms
by SAFE Systems
Don't waste time and money "making do" with a "standard" design. Let us work with you to design and build the
system that best fits
Blastox - One Step
Don't waste $$ on added labor steps with other methods. Don't mix, meter or apply at the job-site. Avoid strict hazardous waste rules.
Let your painters paint!
US Minerals -
With nationwide production and distribution capabilities, U.S. Minerals supplies a complete range of coal slag and other abrasives to meet all of your blasting needs.
Join SSPC and Enhance
Your Career !
• Extends Service Life
• Single Coat Application
• Cure to Service in 24 Hours
Performance Amine 1,3-BAC
A highly reactive cycloaliphatic diamine offering superior performance. Reasonable cost and curing efficacy makes it suitable for all types of epoxy resin applications.