A Pennsylvania-based ship maintenance operation faces 13 federal safety citations and $45,900 in fines related to operations at its West Virginia facility.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited C&C Marine Maintenance Inc. for conditions found in an inspection that began Oct. 4 at the company’s facility in Wellsburg, WV.
“The lack of employee protections against workplace hazards is unacceptable,” said Prentice Cline, director of OSHA’s Charleston-area office. “It is vital that the company address all of the identified hazards to ensure that employees have a safe and healthy work environment.”
Efforts to reach the company for comment Monday (April 18) were unsuccessful.
The citations include alleged failure to:
- Ensure that the bi-directional alarm on a powered industrial truck was not defective;
- Examine industrial trucks before they were put in service;
- Place a fire extinguisher in the crane cab;
- Label electrical disconnect switches;
- Complete material safety data sheets for hazardous materials on site;
- Label containers of hazardous materials;
- Properly cover open hatchways to prevent fall and tripping hazards;
- Inspect and certify cranes;
- Provide inspection dates on chain slings;
- Use fire extinguishing equipment during welding operations;
- Provide fire extinguisher training; and
- Keep the work area uncluttered and free from obstructions.
A serious violation reflects a “substantial probability” of death or serious injury from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.
About the Company
C&C Marine Maintenance Inc. provides marine transportation of bulk cargoes, and performs ship and vessel repairs. The company operates facilities in West Virginia and Pennsylvania.
C&C, a wholly owned subsidiary of Campbell Transportation Co., was founded in the mid-1960s at its current location at Georgetown, PA, on the Ohio River.
The companies perform harbor services and marine/industrial services in the Upper Ohio River area from Pittsburgh, PA to Huntington, WV. Services include underwater/topside motor vessel and barge repairs, including painting; dry cargo barge cleaning; motor vessel re-powering/rehabilitation; fabrication and new construction.
Campbell Transportation Co. / C&C Marine Maintenance
|C&C Marine Maintenance provides a variety of services, including painting.|
The company has 15 business days from receipt of the citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the citations and proposed penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.