Denso has just released Rock Shield, a diamond mesh wrap that protects pipeline coatings from damaging rock backfills or during pipeline construction through rocky terrains.
The product is manufactured from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) with a special expansion process to provide compressive strength and flexibility.
| Rock Shield is manufactured from high-density polyethylene.|
Rock Shield is manufactured to withstand, and stay flexible within, extreme weather conditions and temperatures. The product is available in a cost-effective Standard Duty (SD) version and a Heavy Duty (HD) version for jobs that require more protection.
According to Denso, both Rock Shield SD and Rock Shield HD:
• Absorb the impact of uneven backfill;
• Protect pipe coating from protruding rocks in trenches;
• Minimize coating abrasion from pipe movement underground;
• Protect pipe during future excavations;
• Are unaffected by temperature extremes and wet weather;
• Maintain cathodic protection without inhibiting cathodic flow;
• Cushion against concrete weights; and
• Cut with a utility knife.
The manufacturer says Rock Shield installation is easy. For pipe diameters of 18 inches or less, the material is unrolled parallel to the pipe and wrapped in a longitudinal “cigarette” wrap. It is then fastened with tape, buckles or cable ties.
|Rock Shield HD is designed to protect pipeline coating.|
For larger diameter pipes, sheets must be pre-cut to match pipe circumference, then wrapped spirally around the pipe and fastened as above.
Founded in London in 1883, Houston-based Denso North America is a global manufacturer of anti-corrosion coatings that include Protal liquid epoxies, Denso petrolatum tapes, mastics, primers, bitumen tapes, butyl tapes, hot applied tapes, and a full line of marine pile protection systems.
More information: www.densona.com.