Walter Bazan Jr., of Bazan Painting Company in St. Louis, MO, has received the American Subcontractors Association President’s Award and has been elected vice president of the organization.
Jack Austhof, of commercial painting contractor Sobie Inc. in Dutton, MI, was elected 2011-12 secretary, while two of five national directors are related to the paint and coatings industry.
Elections were held at ASA’s annual Business Forum and Convention in Naples, FL. ASA members also elected these officers for 2011-2012:
- President: Kerrick Whisenant, Cornerstone Detention Products Inc., Tanner, AL
- Treasurer: Mike Jones, M.L. Jones Acoustics Inc., Tulsa, OK
ASA members also elected five national directors:
- Robert Abney, F.L. Crane & Sons, Inc., specialty and painting contractor, Southaven, MS;
- Bob Conshue, RMJ Electrical Contractors Inc., Phoenix, AZ;
- M. Brian Johnson, Soil Consultants Inc., Charleston, SC;
- Thomas McDonnell, George McDonnell & Sons Tuckpointing Co. Inc., a construction caulking specialty contractor, St. Louis, MO; and
- James “Chip” Rohrbach, F.A. Rohrbach Inc., a concrete construction and finishing contractor, Allentown, PA.
The directors will serve three-year terms beginning July 1, 2011.
Bazan, ASA’s national treasurer in 2010-11, received the President’s Award for his service to ASA president Timmy McLaughlin over the past year.
Bazan “was always willing to take on a project and complete it, pick up where help was needed and lead by setting the example,” said McLaughlin, of Austin Construction Co., Summerville, SC. “I found that it was good for me to have a person that didn’t want to take the easy way and that would ask questions.”
Bazan Painting Co., of St. Louis, includes industrial painting in its portfolio.
Walter Bazan Jr. is the newly elected vice president of the American
Bazan’s company, founded in 1977, does industrial, institutional, commercial and residential painting. Bazan, responsible for operations management, is a NACE Certified Coating Inspector and has undergone SSPC Lead Abatement Training.
ASA also conferred these honors:
- John H. Hampshire Lifetime Service Award: David Bradbury, Precision Concrete Construction Inc., Atlanta, GA; and
- Golden Hammer Award for effective advocacy on behalf of construction subcontractors: ASA Greater Kansas City Chapter. The chapter was honored for its role in retainage reform in Kansas. The new law raised the state’s score for retainage limitations from 25 to 70 in the annual ASA Report: The Policy Environment in the States.
Excellence in Ethics certifications went to these firms:
- F.A. Rohrbach, Allentown, PA
- Holes Inc., Houston, TX
- Lloyd’s Construction Services, Savage, MN
- Precision Concrete Construction Inc., Atlanta, GA
- Markham Contracting Company, Phoenix, AZ
- Viracon Inc., Owatonna, MN
- Western Engineering Contractors Inc., Loomis, CA