Pennsylvania’s Governor Edward G. Rendell announced on November 20 that more than 30 additional highway and bridge projects will be financed by stimulus money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Savings from low bids on the current 293 ARRA-funded projects will fund the additional projects. Seventeen of the projects involve replacement, repair, or preservation of bridges.
Pennsylvania will receive $1.026 billion in ARRA funds for highway and bridge work. Through the end of October, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has awarded contracts for 272 ARRA-funded projects totaling $849 million. Fifty-seven projects valued at $68 million have already been completed.
Initially, Pennsylvania’s $1.026 billion ARRA allocation for road and bridge repairs was expected to fund 242 projects. Low bid savings on initial projects allowed PennDOT to add 51 projects in July.
The PennDOT bridge projects added in November, along with the funds allocated, are listed below.
• Allegheny County: Rehabilitation of Jack’s Run Bridge, carrying California Avenue over Jack’s Run in Pittsburgh, $9.2 million.
• Beaver County: Rehabilitation of Rochester Bridge, Route 51, $12.1 million. This project was previously certified for Recovery Act funding; it is being revised to do additional concrete structure repairs.
• Cambria County: Preservation of 10 bridges on U.S. 219, and Routes 36, 56 and 271 and State Route 3031, $1.7 million.
• Cambria County:Rehabilitation of Riverside Bridge, carrying Eisenhower Boulevard over Stonycreek River in Upper Yoder and Stonycreek townships, $813,559.
• Cameron County: Replacement of Hicks Run Bridge, Route 555, north of Run Road in Gibson Township, $1.6 million.
• Erie County: Replacement of bridge carrying Concord Road over Pine Run in Union Township, $940,686.
• Franklin County: Rehabilitation of Mont Alto Road bridge over a tributary to the Conococheague Creek in Guilford Township, $584,490.
• Indiana County: Rehabilitation of the Heshbon Bridge carrying Yellow Creek Park Road, Route 259, over Blacklick Creek in West Wheatland and Brush Valley townships, $2.8 million.
• Mercer County: Replacement of the Baker Hill Road Bridge over Lenango Creek in Delaware Township, $1.2 million.
• Perry County: Restoration of the bridge carrying Route 233 over Sherman’s Creek, including the approaches between Weavers Road to Carlisle Street in Tyrone Township, $2.1 million.
• Perry County: Restoration of the bridge carrying Waggoners Gap Road, Route 74, over Sherman’s Creek in Spring Township, $1.7 million.
• Philadelphia: Safety improvements and rehabilitation of dual bridges that carry the Roosevelt Expressway, U.S. 1, over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, $3.5 million.
• Pike County: Replacement of the bridge carrying Twin Lakes Road over Shohola Creek in Shohola Township, $858,720.
• Susquehanna County: Replacement of the bridge carrying Graham Road over Wyalusing Creek in Rush Township, $467,971.
• Washington County: Preservation of the bridge carrying Bridge Boulevard over the Monongahela River in Brownsville, $1.2 million.
• Westmoreland County: Preservation of the bridge carrying Route 136 over the Youghiogheny River in West Newton, $950,000.
• York County: Restoration of the bridge carrying Indian Rock Dam Road over West Branch of Codorus Creek in North Codorus and West Manchester townships, $1.2 million.
For more information, visit www.recovery.pa.gov.