Awards, demonstrations, new certifications, new officers, exhibits and education all took center stage at the recent National Guild of Professional Paperhangers’ annual Convention & Tradeshow in Niagara Falls.
More than 135 people attended the show Sept. 10-12. Vendors and installers spent time instructing each other on new products and techniques, and participants hailed the show’s interactivity.
Educational activities included:
• A Lift Certification class that qualified 17 participants to operate three different lifts, a great tool for the commercial boom in wallcovering.
• A Certified Paperhanger exam that qualified seven installers as Certified Paperhangers:
o Mitchell Forry, C.P., Elizabethtown, Pa.
o John Keane, C.P., Burlington, Ill.
o Mike Gorman, C.P., Arlington, Va.
o Shannon Russell, C.P., Silverton, Ore.
o Bill White III, C.P., Cincinnati, Ohio
o Vincent LaRusso, C.P., Brewster, N.Y.
o Bruce Johnson, C.P., Pomona, N.Y.
• A popular new “How Would You” challenge that took a team approach to solving real-life on-the-job dilemmas.
The show’s highlight was the annual Winning Walls With Wallcovering contest luncheon, sponsored by the Zinsser Company.
The winners were:
• First Place
o Residential: Frank & Eunice Bokstrom, Design Wallcovering Professional Installation, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
o Commercial: Dennis George, C.P., Hung Right Wallpaper Specialists, LaQuinta, Calif.
o Specialty: Sarah Smyth, John J. Smyth LLC, Medford, Mass.
• Second Place
o Residential: Vincent LaRusso, C.P., Time for A Change Wallpapering, Inc, Brewster, N.Y. and Elsie Kapteina, C.P., Wallpaper Hangups, Bethel, Conn.
o Commercial: Cyndi Green, C.P., Cyndi Green Papering, LLC, Monroe, La., and Pam McCartney, Wallpaper Fashions, Mineola, Texas
o Specialty: Michael Kelly Jr., Michael J. Kelly & Sons, Inc., Wayne, Pa.
• Honorable Mention
o Residential: Tim Bodine, Professional Wallpaper and Paint, St. Louis, Mo.
o Commercial: Frank and Eunice Bokstrom, Design Wallcovering Professional Installation, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
o Specialty: Phil Reinhard, Reinhard Wallcovering, Galloway, N.J. and Cliff Hayes, Best Paperhanging Company, Farmingdale, NJ.
Other convention honorees were:
• Harold Laffer Award: Rex Landem, Interiors by Rex Landem/Wallcovering Installations, Arvada, Colo. (Rocky Mountain Chapter)
• Bob Isenberger Paperhanger Member of the Year Award: Alan Rada, C.P.
• Best Newsletter Award: Bill Archibald, Boston Chapter, “Pulp Fusion”
• Skip Lowe Memorial Award: Greg Laux, MDC Wallcovering
• Guy Cooper Golden Plumbline Award: Chicago Chapter
• Sam Kovnat Award: Lou Ligeri, Wallpaper Removal Specialists, Roslyn, N.Y.
• Patricia Niehaus Leadership Award: Patricia Niehaus, The Wall Doctor, Bayonet Point, Fla.
The Guild also toasted its new 2009-2010 officers:
• President Elsie Kapteina, C.P., Bethel, Conn.
• First Vice-President Phil Curtis, C.P., South Holland, Ill.
• Second Vice-President Vincent LaRusso, C.P., Brewster, N.Y.
• Treasurer Jennifer Curtis, C.P., South Holland, Ill.
• Secretary Cyndi Green, C.P., Monroe, La.
• Immediate Past President David DiBacco, Rochester, N.Y.
The National Guild of Professional Paperhangers is the only non-profit trade organization dedicated to professionals whose main objective is to promote the wallcovering industry. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ngpp.org.