PaintSquare.com


The First Word in Protective & Marine Coatings

A Product of Technology Publishing / PaintSquare
JPCL | PaintSquare News | Durability + Design | Paint BidTracker

Bridge Coating Systems: Selecting and Sourcing

Paint and Coatings Industry News

Main News Page


COBRA Rules Change; Notices Due April 18

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Comment | More

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act makes several important changes to requirements that contractors must meet in order to comply with COBRA. Among them: Contractors need to take immediate action to locate all eligible participants and distribute eligibility notices, since all notices must be distributed by April 18.

COBRA is the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, which gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time after a job loss.

Grant Thornton LLP’s Construction group and Compensation and Benefits practice have identified several key points in the new requirements.

• The changes are generally effective March 1, 2009, and require employers to pay 65 percent of COBRA continuation coverage premiums for “assistance eligible individuals” for up to nine months after their separation from service. The assistance eligible individuals pay only the remaining 35 percent of the premium.

• The United States Treasury will reimburse the employer responsible for the plan for the portion of the premium it pays (i.e., 65%) through a credit on its quarterly employment tax return (Form 941).

• An “assistance eligible individual” is generally defined as an employee who is involuntarily terminated between Sept. 1, 2008, and Dec. 31, 2009, and who elects COBRA coverage and pays 35 percent of the required premium amount.

“All contractors should note that appropriate documentation and filing the appropriate forms with the government is required in order to receive the reimbursement from the U.S. Treasury,” said Todd Taggart, tax partner and practice leader of Grant Thornton’s Construction practice.

Contractors and construction companies also need to take immediate action to locate all eligible participants and distribute eligibility notices, since all notices must be distributed by April 18.

To read Grant Thornton’s guidance New Group Health Plan COBRA Requirements, visit www.GrantThornton.com/construction.

Grant Thornton LLP is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd, one of the six global audit, tax and advisory organizations.

   

Tagged categories: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act; Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act; Contractors

Comment Join the Conversation:

Sign in to our community to add your comments.

DeHumidification Technologies
HUMIDITY PROBLEMS?

DH Tech has the most innovative and reliable equipment available to
control humidity efficiently
and effectively.
IT'S UNDER CONTROL!


Clemco Industries Corp.
Powerful Protection in a Small Package

Mounts inside blast helmet, alerts operator to dangerous breathing-air condition by audible, visual, and vibratory alarms. Easily calibrated, battery operated.


SSPC: The Society for Protective Coatings
http://www.sspc.org/

Join SSPC and Enhance
Your Career !


Hempel (USA) Inc.
HEMPEL PROTECTIVE COATINGS

Efficient systems and high quality products to reduce your maintenance costs. Visit Hempel Protective for more information.


Graco Inc.
Eco-friendly surface prep blasting equipment

EcoQuip blast equipment adds a fine water mist during the spraying process for less dust. Less media consumption. Less cleanup. Easy to use. Call 877.326.7847


International Paint LLC

International Paint Engineered Coatings

Learn about our solutions for:
  • Structural Steel
  • Piping & Equipment
  • Storage Tanks
  • Pressure Vessels
  • Secondary Containment


    Polyval Coatings
    Polyflex® Polyurea Linings

    exhibit outstanding versatility in use; providing abrasion resistance, superior seamless waterproofing and high-chem corrosion protection. www.polyflexlinings.com

  •  
     
     
    Technology Publishing

    The Technology Publishing Network

    The Journal of Protective Coatings & Linings (JPCL) PaintSquare
    Durability + Design Paint BidTracker JPCL Europe

     
    EXPLORE:      JPCL   |   PaintSquare News   |   Interact   |   Buying Guides   |   Webinars   |   Resources   |   Classifieds
    REGISTER AND SUBSCRIBE:      Free PaintSquare Registration   |   Subscribe to JPCL   |   Subscribe to PaintSquare News
    MORE:      About PaintSquare.com   |   Privacy policy   |   Terms & conditions   |   Site Map   |   Search   |   Contact Us
     

    © Copyright 2000-2014, Technology Publishing / PaintSquare, All rights reserved
    2100 Wharton Street, Suite 310, Pittsburgh PA 15203-1951; Tel 1-412-431-8300; Fax 1-412-431-5428; E-mail webmaster@paintsquare.com