Members of the American Subcontractors Association have elected Darlene East, president of Holes Inc. of Houston, Texas, as ASA’s president for 2009-10.
“ASA represents the hopes of subcontractors all over the country,” said East, whose election was announced March 6 at ASA’s Business Forum and Convention 2009.
“For more than 40 years, subcontractors have turned to ASA: as an advocate, when laws and regulations don’t establish a level playing field for subcontractors; as a forum, to communicate our needs to other members of the construction team, including better contracts and business practices; as an educator, for the knowledge that we need to improve our companies; and as a resource for building our business networks; and, yes, our friendships throughout the industry.”
When East begins her one-year term as ASA president on July 1, she will serve as the association’s principal spokesperson and connect with other construction industry leaders to identify and pursue common goals that promote the interests of subcontractors and the construction industry. She will also preside at meetings of ASA’s board of directors, Executive Committee and the membership of the association.
ASA members elected three other national officers to one-year terms beginning July 1:
• Vice President Timmy McLaughlin, Austin Construction Co., Summerville, S.C.
• Treasurer Kerrick Whisenant, Cornerstone Detention Products Inc., Tanner, Ala.
• Secretary Walter Bazan Jr., Bazan Painting Co., St. Louis, Mo.
Five individuals were elected to three-year terms on ASA’s board of directors beginning July 1:
• Susan Baxter, Corbins Service Electric LLC, Phoenix, Ariz.
• Kevin Conboy, Southwest Lath & Plaster, Albuquerque, N.M.
• E. Scott Holbrook Jr., Crawford & Bangs, Covina, Calif.
• Greg Kanning, Dumas Hardware, San Antonio, Texas
• Linda Lucas, Hess Sweitzer Inc., New Berlin, Wis.