The Kansas State Historical Society is seeking contractors to restore a 136-year-old one-room school house in Topeka.
The project involves recoating exterior wood surfaces at the Stach School House.
Bids are due Nov. 5.
Scope of Project
The project involves cleaning, hand scraping, and recoating exterior wood surfaces, which include siding, trim, doors, window frames and sashes, a porch floor, and a bell tower, according to project documents.
Knots in wood surfaces will be cleaned and sealed with knot sealer. Wood surfaces that are exposed to view should be sanded before and after priming.
Kansas One Room Schoolhouses Blog
Built in 1877, the Stach School House in Topeka, KS, now serves as a public museum. The Kansas State Historical Society is seeking bids to repaint the structure.
All wood surfaces are to be primed with an oil-based system. Wood surfaces, except the floor, will then be coated with a 100 percent acrylic latex system. The porch floor will be coated with a latex enamel system, the documents stated.
Items and structures not intended to be coated should either be removed or protected before the coatings work begins.
If multiple coats of the same material are applied to the same surface, undercoats should be the same color as the topcoat, but tinted a lighter shade to facilitate the identification of each coat.
Addendum, Site Visit
According to an addendum sent out by the owner, the contractor may come in contact with lead-based paint when removing existing coatings. Proposals should consider necessary procedures and cost factors of handling lead-based paint.
All precautions to ensure that the building is neatly maintained and accessible to employees of the owner during construction should be taken.
There is no formal pre-bid meeting, but interested bidders are encouraged to visit the site before submitting a proposal, according to the owner.
To schedule a visit, contact Ken Price by phone at (785) 272-8661 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stach School House
The Stach School House is a one-room school built in 1877 and located east of Delia, KS, a small town in rural Jackson County that is part of the Topeka Metropolitan Area.
According to the owner’s website, the school was built to educate the children of Czech immigrants who had migrated from Bohemia and Moravia, two of the three regions that comprise modern-day Czech Republic, before settling in Northeastern Kansas.
The school was named after John Stach, a Moravian immigrant who donated an acre of land for the site. Today, the school house functions as a public museum.
Reported by Paint BidTracker, a construction reporting service devoted to identifying contracting opportunities for the coatings community.
Get a free trial of Paint BidTracker now.