||CA - Bloomington CA
Job ID: 7072
• The primary purpose of the Corrosion Technician is to operate and maintain the cathodic protection (CP) facilities through planning and implementation of corrosion control and pipeline integrity activities for pipelines, terminals, and other facilities including design, installation, operation, and maintenance. The Corrosion Technician must also ensure compliance with Company policies and procedures mandated by Office of Pipeline safety and other state agencies.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Implements CP surveys of pipelines, stations, and terminals.
• Reads and adjusts rectifiers and other pipeline/station facilities with appropriate instrumentation.
• Maintains records, enters data into the computer, and provides reports.
• Conducts interference tests, performs quality control inspections, and performs troubleshooting and repair of rectifiers and aerial indicator systems.
• Assists with the design of cathodic protection (CP) systems and confers with departments responsible for contracts, environmental compliance and right-of-way procurement.
• Assists with the preparation of contract drawings, specifications and bid invitations.
• Establishes and maintains professional relationships with local, regional, and national NACE (National Association of Corrosion Engineers) International organizations. May represent Company at regional inter-company corrosion coordinating committees and audits conducted by state and/or federal agencies or DOT.
• Assists with pipeline maintenance duties repairing cathodic protection and pipeline equipment and clearing right-of-way. Investigates and restore rectifier outages reported by patrol pilot.
• High school diploma or equivalent experience; AA or BS in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related/equivalent experience required for advancement to higher step levels.
Experience / Specific Knowledge:
• Specific experience in corrosion and/or pipeline operations or a technical diploma or degree.
• Must have good electrical and mechanical skills, including a basic understanding of electricity and electrical theory.
• Must be able to perform basic math and algebra calculations.
• Must have prior experience in or have the ability to sketch and develop plot plans.
• Advancement from one step level to the next is based on minimum time requirements, as well as meeting and maintaining satisfactory job performance standards and obtaining required certifications.
o Corrosion Technician Level 1 – Ability to pass Operator Qualifications within the first six months and demonstrates the ability to perform basic job duties with limited supervision.
o Corrosion Technician Level 2 - At least one year performing satisfactorily at Level 1 or has equivalent experience; can consistently perform all job duties; is knowledgeable regarding cathodic protection; works with moderate direction; should be preparing (or is prepared) for the NACE International Cathodic Protection Tester (CP 1) Certification or the NACE International Corrosion Technician Certification.
o Corrosion Technician Level 3 - At least one year performing satisfactorily at Level 2 or has equivalent experience; can work with minimal direction; has demonstrated sound judgment in carrying out all job responsibilities and continues to successfully perform all job duties; has the ability to analyze problems and develop sound recommendations for resolution; has obtained NACE International CP 1 Certification or has equivalent education/experience and can obtain the certification within 12 months. As a Level 3 Corrosion Technician, one is expected to begin studying for and developing the skills to pass the NACE International Cathodic Protection Technician (CP 2) Certification or the NACE International Corrosion Technologist Certification.
o Corrosion Technician Level 4 - At least two years performing satisfactorily at Level 3 or equivalent experience and either NACE International CP 2 or the NACE International Corrosion Technologist Certification; provides self direction; has shown continuous improvement in ability to perform duties and to troubleshoot problems; consistently demonstrates leadership skills, promotes teamwork, contributes ideas and recommendations for generating and implementing new ideas/procedures/processes, and serves as a trainer or mentor for less experienced Corrosion Technicians. As a Level 4 Corrosion Technician, one is expected to study and prepare for the NACE International Cathodic Protection Technician (CP 3) and/or the NACE International Senior Corrosion Technologist Certification.
o Corrosion Technician Level 5 - At least three years performing satisfactorily at Level 4 or equivalent experience and has obtained either NACE International CP 3 or the NACE International Senior Corrosion Technologist Certification; has maintained a consistent and high level of performance by meeting or exceeding all job performance standards and expectations; is considered a ‘subject matter expert’ in regards to corrosion and cathodic protection; has the ability to work independently and use sound judgment, as well as the ability to work in a team and promote cooperation; sets a positive example for all and represents KM in a professional manner at all times; provides direction and imparts knowledge to less experienced Corrosion Technicians and can provide back-up support and assistance to the Corrosion Supervisor and/or Corrosion Specialist.
Certification, licenses, registrations:
• A satisfactory driving record as determined by the Company and a current, valid State driver's license are required.
• If the employee is subject to license or certification requirements or training as stipulated by local, state or federal agencies or the Company, now or in the future, compliance is required under this job description.
• Must pass and maintain all applicable Operator Qualification requirements.
Competencies, skills, and abilities:
• Proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, Outlook and CPDM.
• Well-balanced interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communications skills are required, including the ability to do technical writing and provide required documentation and reports.
• Must be accountable and take direction from Managers; keep required work schedules, which include regular and predictable job attendance; focus attention on details; adhere to operational procedures and follow work rules.
• Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks are essential, including the ability to plan, organize, and oversee assigned work programs and projects.
• Must be a problem solver with the ability to find resolutions.
• Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision and/or direction.
• Must be flexible and able to work effectively in a team environment and consistently maintain a professional and respectful demeanor/attitude with co-workers, clients, vendors, and regulatory agencies.
• Must have a good sense of direction in order to locate remote pipelines, rectifiers and test stations.
• Employee must be physically capable of completing and satisfying all training requirements as stipulated by local, state or federal agencies and/or Company Policy.
• Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions.
• Must be able to operate a 4-wheel vehicle for off road driving. Must be able to drive pipeline right-of-way without accidents or equipment damage.
• Use senses of sight, hearing, and smell to aid in the identification of systems and equipment malfunction.
• Must be able to distinguish basic colors.
• Must be able to perform work in areas where one is exposed to smells and fumes associated with refined petroleum products.
• Must be able to perform work outside in varying and sometimes extreme weather situations.
• Field activities may require walking to and amidst work and/or construction sites, climbing in and out of trenches, working around heavy equipment, negotiating rough terrain, areas of loose rock, mountainous or desert regions, or heavy urban traffic areas, and working in confined spaces.
• May be required to lift weights up to 50 pounds unassisted.
• Frequently work may require walking up to 5 - 10 miles in a day, including through brush and rugged terrain in temperatures that can range from 20 to 120 F.
• Position subject to 24-hour call-out, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Overtime required and extended work hours in cases of emergencies.
• May be required to work alone (unsupervised).
• Climatic conditions are determined by location assignment and may include severe seasonal changes including both winter conditions with frequent snow or extreme summer heat and sun, depending upon geographic location.
• Survey work frequently involves getting dirty, sweaty, dusty, and hot, especially during summer months.
• Drives a 4-wheel vehicle up to several hours per day.
• Travel to remote areas within a particular region may involve extended periods of driving, both on and off road and could involve exposure to electrical shock, very difficult terrain, traffic hazards, snakes, spiders and other crawling and flying insects, cuts, bruises, etc.
• Work in remote areas is often performed alone and without direct supervision; judgment is required when consultation with supervisor is not possible.
• Extensive travel may be required including overnight stays for several days.
• Extended periods of sitting may be required for administrative activities.
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities:
Above the minimum requirement; not required but advantageous in this position:
• Working knowledge of Corrosion instrumentation.
• Experience in the design, construction, monitoring, and troubleshooting of cathodic protection systems and pipeline maintenance.
• Knowledge of common practices, procedures, tools, materials, and equipment used in cathodic protection of refined oil pipelines.
• Working knowledge of occupational hazards and required safety precautions related to assigned duties.
• Understanding of pipeline operations, locating, and right-of-way.
• Knowledge of underground utility operations and right-of-way.
• Knowledge of protective coating used on petroleum pipelines.
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED. THIS POSITION MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
This job was originally posted on CareerBuilder.com. Original job posting
Apply for this job (via CareerBuilder.com)
E-mail this job listing to a friend
GOT LEAD? Specify Pretox System products
The ONLY Lead Stabilizer
Compatible with All
Paint Removal Methods.
Works with all Blast Media:
Grits | Recyclable Abrasives
| CO2 | Water | Power Tools | Etc.
Call Dave Steffen at 800.338.8296.
We Protect and Beautify the World
PPG is widely recognized as a world leader in protective and marine coatings, developing innovative, cutting-edge products and services.
PosiTector SST Soluble Salt Tester
Measures the concentration of soluble salts on metal surfaces. Use with all Bresle patch types including the reusable, adhesive-free PosiPatch.
Sherwin-Williams General Polymers Resinous Flooring App
Our coatings and linings expertise available 24/7, allowing you to explore the Sherwin-Williams systems best suited for your flooring needs. Android Users Click here to Download the app today!
Built for Tough Jobs
From Epoxies to Urethanes to other high solid coatings, the new Binks Airless 75 delivers a great finish using an ergonomic design. Visit binks.com for more information.
Global engineering-trusted solutions
For more than 70 years, Clemco has provided the highest quality blast equipment with a total commitment to comfort and safety.
DH Tech has the most innovative and
reliable equipment available to
IT'S UNDER CONTROL!
NO FLASH RUST - NO CONTAMINANTS
Our HoldTight®102 salt remover & flash rust
preventer prevents flash
rust by removing surface contaminants. Contact us
(800) 319.8802 firstname.lastname@example.org
POLYGON - Temporary Humidity Control
We specialize in innovative climate control solutions for industrial painting, utilizing alternative energy sources and combining desiccants with heating or cooling.
ADVANCED RECYCLING SYSTEMS (ARS)
Recycling Machines, Dust Collectors,
Rapid Deployment units are time-tested
and approved for the rugged industrial
environment. Contact ARS today!