PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE
PPG Industries' vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. PPG is committed to providing a fulfilling workplace for employees, creating an environment for continuous learning and embracing the ideas and diversity of others. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in nearly 70 countries around the world. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com.
The formulating chemist position will report to a Group Leader and will assist them in the design and testing of new paint and coating products, and in the improvement of existing products. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of light industrial water-based coatings chemistries, with knowledge of heavy-duty solvent-based coating chemistries an additional plus. The work environment is an industrial laboratory setting, requiring lab coats, safety shoes, safety glasses, and other personal protective equipment as may be required by the task at hand. Candidates must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Duties and responsibilities will include:
· New product development and testing in accordance with design criteria.
· Improvement of existing products with regard to performance and/or manufacturing efficiency and/or cost efficiency.
· Application of paints using air-spray and airless-spray application equipment.
· Performance of specialized testing such as accelerated corrosion resistance and accelerated weathering testing, and recording test results in a lab notebook.
· Register new raw materials and enter new or improved coating formulations into the business system.
· Assist with production scale-up of new/improved products.
· Interface with Operations to resolve formula or processing problems.
· Interface with raw material suppliers and/or Purchasing on new or problem raw materials.
· Assist with resolution of product complaints.
· Ensure that safe practices are used in carrying out all lab work.
· Maintain a clean work area and carry out all housekeeping measures to the expected level.
· Assist supervisor in any assignments as directed.
Experience and Education:
Candidates must have a BS degree in Chemistry or in a related science field, and at least three years of experience. Actual level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
PPG prides itself on the quality of its employees and as such, candidates who receive a job offer will be required to successfully pass a hair drug/toxins test and a background check.
PPG Industries, Inc. offers an opportunity to grow and develop your career in an environment that provides a fulfilling workplace for employees, creates an environment for continuous learning, and embraces the ideas and diversity of others. An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply via https://ppg.taleo.net/careersection/prof/jobdetail.ftl?job=1300001470&lang=en