The Director will oversee multi-million dollar, heavy steel fabrication projects (not buildings). The position will report directly to the Vice President and will supervise team members to include shop managers, supervisors and production staff on productivity, quality, and safety. Position oversees steel production management staff with approximately 150 trade personnel. Interfaces with clients and other contractors and provides technical assistance as required.
- Manage multiple million dollar projects ensuring on time fabrication, within budget, and meeting all required specifications.
- Accountable for the success and profitability of each project.
- Plans and manages projects to include scheduling, engineering, fabrication, material control, and purchases.
- Sets goals and agendas for fabrication shop workers and management.
- Develops sequence scheduling for integrated work packages and defines craft skill mix.
- Reviews production reports and resolves issues in the area of craft performance, production schedules, manning projections, budget requirements to ensure effective corrective action.
- Collaborates with the estimator or project manager in developing estimates for changes, and must provide feedback on over or under budgets for work items.
- Assists the estimating department by reviewing all estimates for accuracy, and contacts customers for future work potential.
- Reviews all engineer drawings for planning purposes, prior to commencing production.
- Coordinates work and is the liaison for shipyard (corporate affiliate) projects.
- Manages the building of complex ship modules, barges and large complex industrial fabrication projects.
- Conducts weekly production meetings with supervisors, welding manager, and quality assurance personnel on the progress of each project to determine issues that needed to be resolved and tasked to be accomplished.
- Develops good working relationships with subcontractors and vendors to obtain production and quality goals and obtain competitive pricing.
- Actively participates to identify training needs of personnel to improve overall performance.
Implements process improvements in production, and develop methods to increase the level of quality products