Position Title: Manager – Engineering Surveys & Design Department
Working Title (if different): Organization Code:
BU: Professional Services Group Department: Engineering Surveys & Design
Date Approved by Supervisor: Date Approved by Human Resources:
- Position Summary The Manager of the Engineering Surveys & Design Department has the staff responsibility for the development of business, financial management and technical quality of KTA’s engineering services, including coating condition assessments, containment design review, design services, contract administration, and related project management. The incumbent also acts as a "project manager" on specialized projects and/or with critical clients, and is a Client Manager. The Manager receives routine direction from the President, the Professional Services Group Manager and the Director of Corporate Business Development.
- Specific Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for proactive sales and marketing efforts by:
- Preparing and implementing the Department 3-year Strategic Business Plan
- Implementing the department annual traction plan for capturing targeted market share
- Investigating new service offerings and performing return on investment (ROI) analyses for consideration by KTA Management
- Preparing and making presentations to new clients
- Attending trade shows and other professional meetings for the purpose of meeting new prospects
- Preparing technical articles for publication in trade journal and preparing and presenting technical papers at local and national conferences
- Conducting periodic visits to clients or prospect offices and project sites
- Contacting previous clients
- Establishing and maintaining a book of clients
- Achieving minimum budgeted revenue, gross margin and operating income on a monthly basis, while controlling and monitoring budgeted indirect expenses.
- Preparing monthly sales activity reports
- Preparing and following-up on proposals
- Developing a plan to promote and staff API 653 condition assessment projects
- Coordinate and communicate with other Groups and Departments to:
- Assist in the preparation of proposals, scheduling, and controlling costs
- Determine who is best suited and required for job and appointing personnel
- Assist in assessing KTA’s limitations for projects
- Provide internal engineering support services.
- Responsible for management of personnel and department administration:
- Attend and participate in quarterly BU meetings as well as meetings with the Director of Corporate Business Development
- Establish and monitor annual budget, meet or exceed budgeted OPI and control IDE, and prepare monthly variance reports
- Review and submit weekly time and expense sheets, and manage aging ARs and underbillings
- Effectively manage and expand staff, develop technical and management skills of existing staff, and monitor project managers.
- Maintain an inventory of equipment, and monitor annual equipment calibration requirements
- Coordinate and participate in annual safety and technical training
- Manage all department records, standards, and reference materials
- Counsels management regarding quality and quantity of service, assists management with technical training programs, and provides excellent customer service by:
- Developing and presenting various in-house and client training programs
- Addressing client concerns immediately and making revisions as necessary
- Determine degree of corrosion and coating deterioration on existing structures (i.e. tanks, bridges, and other facilities) by:
- Evaluating condition assessment data, structural calculations, and containment drawings
- Reviewing contractor submittals, drawings, photographs, and statistics
- Reviewing containment & ventilation system designs
- Preparing opinions of probable cost and technical specifications
- Carries out all other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Organizational Relationship
- Reporting Relationships This position generally reports to the Professional Services Group Manager, along with the Managers for Coatings Consulting, Laboratory, Training, and EH&S Services. All of the Department staff, including the Engineers and Project Professionals and data entry personnel (as needed) report to the incumbent.
- Contacts Required
- Internally, this position is in routine contact with the Project Managers to review work progress and for planning purposes, and is also in frequent contact with field staff to verify work quality. Periodically the department manager meets with Management to advise on state-of-the-art procedures and the status of service in the specialty area.
- Externally, this position routinely meets with clients and/or contractors to develop business opportunities, discuss technical questions and monitor project progress. Contacts are frequently with client’s upper management.
- Authorities and Responsibilities
- Decision Making Authority
- This position has a level of responsibility to make most technical decisions involving coatings assessment practices, coatings assessment project management and QC, department staffing, and other issues within the area of expertise.
- Situations that require input from technically experienced individuals are frequently resolved by the incumbent after discussing the issues with the Professional Services Group Manager and/or the KTA President.
- The Manager's primary responsibilities are to develop business opportunities and to secure work for the department, set-up and manage major projects, support other KTA business units for design phase work, manage and develop a staff of engineers, perform engineering services and exceed monthly budgeted revenue and operating income, while maintaining indirect expenses.
- Utilization (billable hours) will fluctuate; however a minimum of 20% is projected for this position
- Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Other Characteristics
- Education and Experience MBA or Proven Business Development experience as well as a Bachelors degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or related field. Professional Engineering License is preferred. A minimum of 3 years experience is required.
- Specialized Training/Certifications NACE and/or SSPC Certified Coatings Inspector and SSPC Certified Protective Coating Specialist are preferred. API 653 Certification is desirable.
- Specialized Knowledge Knowledge of coatings inspection instruments and wall thickness measurement equipment, industry standards and effective project management techniques. Membership and active involvement in professional associations. Ability to read drawings/plans/blueprints.
Knowledge of coating condition assessment practices and experience with C++ computer software programs is desirable.
Knowledge in the field of business management practices, (minimum successful completion of Project Management Training), personnel development and training techniques is desirable.
The incumbent must be able to work well under pressure; handle multiple projects and tasks independently; and motivate employees, foster teamwork and delegate responsibility. He or she must be a self-starter and work on own with little direction. He/she must be internal and external customer oriented.
- Physical Requirements
The incumbent must meet the following physical requirements: close, distance, and depth vision, ability to adjust focus, climb and work at heights, work in confined spaces, safely lift 25 pounds, walk on uneven ground or terrain, hear, work outside (including in inclement weather), wear a respirator, and speaking.
- Position Challenges
- Managing support of multiple projects, deadlines and demands by internal customers and clients as well as ability to develop in-house staff capabilities.
- Extensive travel may be required. Fieldwork requires climbing of elevated structures and confined space entry. The field conditions can be hazardous.